A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Get off the mat

I have had my fair share of hard knocks in the last year.  I have had torn muscles, dislocated ribs, the flu, respiratory infections, hives, and my latest fiasco- an infection in a gland in my face and a TMJ flair-up.  (I know, I said the same thing. "Huh?")  I had an allergic reaction to one medication, then another reaction to the antibiotic. It seems every time I really hit my groove in my weight-loss journey, whammo... I'm slapped down to the mat, and I have truly contemplated at times just staying down.  This time, I have spent a little over a week on the mat; however today,  I find myself getting to my knees.

Sometimes I wonder if these types of challenges are deliberately put in front of me.  I am a firm believer in "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"  and just when I think I have nothing more to give, I am forced to dig deeper and push through.   I expect these types of challenges in life, my career, parenting, etc, so it should come as no surprise that they manifest in my weight-loss journey as well.  Yet, I am surprised -discouraged, overwhelmed, irritated, pissy, what-have-you, when these obstacles knock me down. But, perhaps that's just God's way of asking me over and over again, "Are you serious about this?"  I feel He allows me to go underwater at times so I will truly appreciate the big deep breath when I resurface.  And, I think He smiles and says, "Well done." when I do. 

I also wonder if God slows me down when I refuse to do it for myself.  I may have my head down, trudging forward and have no idea that there's a semi veering out of control a quarter of a mile down the street.  Maybe he shoves me into the ditch to keep me from being plowed by the truck. Scraped knees are easier to heal than broken bones.  I don't know.  Maybe I was working too hard in the gym and was facing an injury, so God slapped me upside my head and laid me up for ten days to allow my body the rest it needed.  (And, it very well could just be that "stuff happens" and we go from there.) 
 
And that's my point.  Today, I start from here. I have my jug of water sitting on my desk; I have updated my blog, and I have watched my caloric intake today.  Exercising isn't something I can do just yet, but just for today, I have made an effort to get off the mat.  And tomorrow?  I just might get to lace up my shoes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment