A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Random Thoughts

I am not, by nature, a patient person. I am the instant-gratification QUEEN; I want what I want when I want it.  So, when I started this journey, I had to prepare myself for a whole mindset, which meant recognizing that I didn't gain 100 pounds over night (though it SURE felt like it!!), and I wasn't going to lose 61 over night.  It meant setting goals and a schedule, which I hate to do, since I am spontaneous and fly by the seat of my current mood swing.  (I could be the poster child for Aries.) 

The last thing I needed, though I didn't know it at the time, was accountability with a workout partner. I needed that person to count on, to hold my feet to the fire, and go through this with me.  I needed someone with whom I could be totally honest and feel open to share how I was feeling all the while knowing she could relate to my struggles and victories. So at this point in the blog, I'd like to give a huge shout out to my girl, Casey, because she has sweated beside me and cut calories with me every step of the way.  I love you, honey, and I am forever grateful, because I don't know if I could have this type of success on my own. 
And, we're still at it!  We're going to the gym four nights a week for 60-90 minutes a night (depending on the night.)  We sit down with our planners and schedule out ten days at a time when we're going to the gym.  It's tough!  We both have families, obligations, dinner times, work schedules, functions, a whole gambit of time constraints to consider, and I'm really proud of us for making this a priority when it would be so easy to give up.  Tonight, I burned about 480 calories by running on the treadmill, doing 15 minutes of free-weight cardio, and 4.5 miles on the bike. I weigh in tomorrow and hope that I will drop out of the 180's and into the 170's for the first time in about 13 years.

If there's one thing I have learned in this journey, it's that slow and steady really does win the race.  I wanted to lose weight in a healthy way without fad diets, pills, surgery, hypnosis...insert latest craze here.  I wanted to prove to myself I could count on me, that I was important to myself.  I'm staring down the last 5 pounds before I reach my goal weight. I had gained 1.5 pounds during my workout hiatus, and it took me two weeks just to get those 1.5 pounds off.  In the days of "The Biggest Loser", that sounds minimal, I know. And, I admit that it's tougher to do, now.  I'm pretty happy with myself the way I am for the first time in I don't know HOW long. But I'm only FIVE POUNDS away from my goal weight!  I can't stop, now.  I can't bear to rob myself of the joy of crossing the finish line and FINALLY finishing something I started. 

For those of you reading this and struggling with staying motivated in weight loss, I know this struggle well.  I have spent most of my adult life being uncomfortable in my body and unable to get my mind to cooperate.  You can do this.  Find that reason to commit to yourself and promise to yourself that this time is THE time.  Whatever your reasons are for wanting do lose weight, embrace that. I can promise you two things:  it will be tough, and it will be worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment