A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Boat

You've heard me talk about roads, oysters, the mat, my bridge, the x factor, and the foxhole, so it should come as no surprise that I have yet another use of imagery to describe my life and where I'm at right now.  Tonight, it's the boat. 

In the last three years, I have been through quite a bit that has left me feeling off-center and unsure of who I am and what I want/need out of life.  The sea of life has been very tumultuous and unforgiving in the ferocity of the waves as the crash down on me relentlessly.  I have experienced the occasional calming of the storm only to see in the distance another swell heading my way, and I have given myself no time to repair my vessel or even prepare before the next hurricane spins me around.

In the midst of my last hurricane, I found myself focusing so much on the storm that I failed to look at how it was effecting me and my boat.  I had left it unmanned, basically, and was being tossed around aimlessly while waiting for the storm to either subside or swallow me whole.  I became frightened of dark clouds, wondering what the next clap of thunder was going to bring.  A tiny ripple in the water left me quaking with uncertainty. 

Then, a little over two years ago, I saw my sunbeam.  And I headed that direction.  Even though I still felt the instability beneath my feet, I made my way to the helm.  The storms were still fierce, but I had that vision of light to guide me.  I learned how to weather the storm with trust and faith that I was going to be OK. I learned how to be courageous when I was scared, and I found the gear I needed to protect myself. 

And now, I need to examine my boat.  I need to see if the damages are superficial or if there are some major repairs in order.  So, I've got my toolbox and my owner's manual, and even though I don't know the first thing about boat repair, I know that I have the confidence in myself, the determination, and desire to stay afloat.  And, I can still see my sunbeam.

No comments:

Post a Comment