A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Becoming Willing

Have you ever had a random person run through your mind and think, "I really need to call them", but didn't?  Or, have you ever thought "Grab your umbrella; it might rain" only to look up, see a sun-filled sky and leave it at home? How did that mid-afternoon rainstorm work out for ya?  Some people call that their gut, others intuition, I call it God. 

Last week after church, I made a quick stop at the grocery store to buy some things for our Sunday afternoon barbecue.  I was in a hurry, had fifteen different things on my mind, and I knew I needed to get in and get out.  I even let my kids sit in the car.  I had just grabbed the last thing on my mental list when a sweet southern drawl complimented me on my outfit.  I looked up, thanked her and made a joke about freezing to death at the sunrise service, which prompted me NOT to opt for the cute little Easter skirt I had planned to wear.  (I am still cold from that!)  We chatted for a minute as we both contemplated items on the shelves, and when the usual-but-cordial lull in the conversation came, I started to walk away.  But, I felt something stir in me. "Keep talking to her."  I thought to myself, "I don't have time for chit-chat; I've got a lunch to get to!" 

So, I asked her about her accent. She said she was from Georgia but has now lived here for two years. I explained that my family is from the south and how I'm a sucker for a Southern accent.  We exchanged some banter, and again, I tried to walk away, but I felt that nudge inside.  "Talk to her, Tami. Don't walk away."  Now, I really needed to get going, but I honored that feeling and asked her a few more questions, made a few jokes with her, and the third time I tried to walk away, I felt like I was being held in that spot. 

So, I asked her if she'd made any friends since she's lived here, and she said folks were friendly, but that she didn't have any friends, no.  So, I did something COMPLETELY out of the ordinary for me; I gave her my cell phone number and told her if she wanted to have a cup of coffee sometime to give me a call.  Her face lit up and she got a little teary-eyed. She gave me her number as well and said, "You know, you just might be an answer to prayer."

And that's when I knew that it was God holding me in that aisle.  That's when I knew why I was wearing the outfit I had picked out that morning (which was completely opposite of what I had in mind for Easter Sunday and would have been much more appropriate for a funeral in October.), and that's when I knew that I had also received an answer to prayer. 

I have been praying for God's will to be done in my life and for Him to use me. I have also been praying for Him to make me willing when the opportunity comes.  He needed to use me to answer her prayer, and for that, I am truly humbled and honored.  That I was able to set aside my own agenda long enough to receive the blessing that I had asked for, I am truly grateful.

I was so excited when I got home, I called her right away. I left her a voice mail and have not heard from her. And, I may not, but that's OK. Because, I think about her every day and hope that she finds comfort in knowing that there is someone in town she can now call her friend.  

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Tami! That's a tough thing to do - listening to a nudging voice in your head that you can't quite identify until later.... Yay!

    ReplyDelete