A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Temptation, Temptation, Everywhere!

I am still on a high from my 4.5 pound weight loss in one week.  Let me just throw a mild disclaimer in that I do not condone that much weight loss in one week, and truth-be-told, this is probably water-weight and my metabolism kicking into gear.  I won't have that type of result again. 

A healthy weight-loss goal is no more than 2-3 pounds per week.  These diets you read about that promise a twenty-pound weight loss in 30 days? Get ready to yo-yo.  They may work in the short-term, but for long-term results, my experience says to shoot for 2-3 pounds a week.  Let me break it down for you how I did it for myself.

According to my BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate), I burn about 1600 calories just living every day.  That is breathing, blinking, digesting food, tapping my foot...whatever.   So, if I want to maintain the weight I am at right now, I need to eat exactly 1600 calories per day to break even.  Since I want to lose weight, I am keeping my caloric intake at about 1400 calories. I'm already creating a 200 calorie deficit right there, and I haven't even hit the gym yet.

It hurts my head to do much more calculating after that.  But keep in mind that just doing a little research and knowing a few numbers can make the difference in this journey.  I'm still reminded of that darn candy bar... It took me 5.5 miles on the bike just to burn that bad boy off.

A friend of mine knows I am PMSing hard-core this week thanks to a rant on Facebook about my lack of chocolate and did the sweetest thing.  She inter-officed me a bag of Peanut M&M's because she knows how much I love them.  The gesture was wonderful!  And, they are sitting in my desk drawer at work, unopened, as a reminder of the kind things friends do for each other.  She didn't realize I am on a no-sweets fast, bless her heart.  But, I'm stronger than that paper wrap.  The instant gratification that snack would offer is not worth the derailment that would follow if I allow myself to eat it.  And the guilt? Oh I would feel guilty.

And the resentment? "Why do I have to watch every damn thing I put in my mouth when so many other people can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound?"  Because I'm me. And this is how I'm built.  I can adapt and overcome, or I can make peace with my larger self and eat what I want.  It is what it is.  Some things are harder for others.  This is my cross to bear.  I may struggle with my weight for the rest of my life, and I am accepting that more and more.  It doesn't mean I have to like it, but I liken it to someone with a food allergy.  They can eat their allergen all day long and suffer from it, or they can avoid that which causes them pain/physical stress and avoid it because they know what the repercussions are.

I'm tempted all the time.  Tonight, it was brownies and cookies at a carry-in.  My mouth WATERED and they smelled so good!  But, I didn't have one. Because where I am right now? One would have led to a binge when I got home.  I can't give you any reason why other than I know myself well enough to recognize the trigger.  I know this is hard-somedays impossible it seems.  But it's doable- one smart decision at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment