A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

When's It Gonna Be "The Right Time"?

I had the privilege of hearing a motivational speaker today who reminded me of how important it is to live for today- right now, in this moment.  He spoke of his sons, who are now grown and gone, and reminisced about how he spent their childhood waiting for them to basically be grown and gone.  And, now that they are, he wishes he could have just one more Friday night football game- just one more baseball practice. 

For those of you, like me, who wait for just the right time to talk to that person, wait for inspiration, wait to get motivated, but continue to live life on life's terms, when is it going to be the right time?  Will you wake up ten years from now and still be right where you are right now?  Ten years ago, did you think you would be where you are today?  Ten years ago, I was pregnant with my first child and scared to death at how my life was about to change.  Ten years from now, I'm certain I will have that same fear when my daughter is in college and my son is driving. 

It's nearly midnight on the eve of another school year beginning in my hometown.  My children are excited about tomorrow and anxious to know what the day will bring.  I am trying to follow their example and apply it to my own tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to going to work tomorrow because I am blessed to have a career I enjoy.  I'm looking forward to weighing in tomorrow because I know I've done a good job this week.  I'm looking forward to another opportunity to treat myself and others kindly. 

What's holding you back?  Is it fear?  Lack of discipline? Let me ask you this:  If you were guaranteed an opportunity for promotion at work, and all it was going to take was a few weeks of buckling down, would you do it?  There's a reward at stake, so most of us would probably jump on that.  So, if you're willing to work hard for others, will you work hard for yourself? 

Here's a question I'd like to throw out to you:  Is what you're doing right now getting you toward your goal?  Weight loss isn't complicated, but it is hard.  It's hard because it requires  a well-formulated plan, consistency, and action.  Do you have a plan? I know you have a "want", but do you have a plan? 

Here's mine:
1. Drink water.  80+ ounces a day.   32 ounces before lunch, 32 ounces before 5:00, and 8 ounces at home. 
2.  Keep my caloric intake under 1400 calories per day.
3.  Work out four nights a week for at least 45 minutes at a time.
4. During workouts, keep heartrate at 145-150.
5.  No sweets.

I'm not always perfect in my execution, but I'm getting pretty good at making adjustments when I realize I've left something out.  If I don't drink my 32 ounces before I leave work, I drink it at night.  If I go over 1400 calories, I work out longer.  Leave yourself room for error but not failure. I've said it before, and I say it again, now.  Your past doesn't have to determine your present or future.  The only failure when you've been kicked to the mat is staying down. 


1 comment:

  1. excellent post. I just cleaned off my treadmill---for the 3rd time this year and intend to use it. Thank you .

    ReplyDelete