A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Calories and Food Choices

I know I told y'all not to make big changes all at once, but I feel it's important to share with you that I'm actually working two journeys right now simultaneously and for good reason.  I made the commitment to drop ten pounds yesterday, and at the same time, I have quit smoking.  (Feel free to cheer. Yay!)  I need to do these at the same time, though, because I am SCARED TO DEATH of gaining weight when I quit.  The last time I quit, I gained 30 pounds, and I will not tolerate that!  So, there.  Now that's off my chest and we can move on. 

OK- so baby steps.  Today was day one: Did anyone get overwhelmed?  If so, think about why.  Did you try to make too many changes in one day? Are you feeling deprived in your eating plan? (To all of you newbies...I do NOT say the "D" word... To many, Diet= punishment, but we are in control; therefore, we have an eating plan.) Did you put too much pressure on yourself?  If so, here's some GREAT news! A new day starts in about one hour.  So "forgetaboutit."  Start fresh with a new day.  If you are satisfied with how your day went, AWESOME JOB!  I'm proud of you! :-) 

Am I the only one who finds examining my eating plan similar to dissecting a crime scene?  When I find a new food I really enjoy and want to incorporate into my eating plan, I love to look it up...just that moment of anticipation, "Oh is this going to be good or bad?"  I enjoy gaining more knowledge and insight to how to properly fuel my body and get more "bang for my buck".  Imagine how excited I was to find a sandwich at Picklemans that didn't blow my diet!  (Grilled Mozarella Cheese on Wheat= 351 calories. Sometimes I add turkey which kicks it up to a little over 400.)   For someone like me who enjoys going out to eat, I can tell you now: Do your homework!  If you know you're going to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner tonight, Google "Ruby Tuesdays calorie count" or go to their website and look over the nutritional value in advance. Then you don't have to fly by the seat of your pants, you'll know what the smart choices are and be a little more relaxed.

Become familiar with your eating plan.  Today, my meals were similar to yesterday, but I increased my caloric intake and came in just a hair below 1400 calories. I burned approximately 441 calories while mowing tonight, and after looking at my percentages on The Daily Plate, I really need to start focusing more on the sodium levels in foods.  This is the second day in a row I've blown WAY over the top of the recommended daily allowance.(Oh, speaking of which... for those of you who don't like to cook or don't have time and like to supplement with frozen dinners, a word of caution... they may be low in calories, but keep your eyes on the sodium levels.  It's astounding.)

If you like your 3:00 chocolaty goodness, and if it will make you feel like less of a human if you can't have it, then I encourage you to look them up. For example: 4 Baby Ruth Mini's is only 200 calories. SCORE!! So only eat two! If you like ice cream, take a look at the fudge bars that are only 100 calories per bar.  Still feeling like you have to eat celery and raisins for the next 12 weeks?  :)  I'm telling ya, a little research, a lot of attention, and the willingness to act is a powerful thing. If you are the kind of person that can limit yourself, then build that 100-200 calorie treat into your meal plan. 

One more hint for you "fully leaded soda drinkers".  Don't forget to count the calories in your beverages.  If you drink 3 cans of Coke a day, you just lost 420 calories out of your goal.  Mountain Dew drinkers: one 20 ounce bottle is 290 calories. Beware the hidden calories in your diet!

OK, CSI Agents! Let's see what kind of shocking evidence we can unfold and look for alternative choices.  I hope you found your water bottle and tennis shoes today. For those of you who journal, this might be a good time to write a few reasons why you want to begin this journey again.  If you forget what you're fighting for, the battle has already been lost.  

No comments:

Post a Comment