A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Discipline Easy? Ha!

I don't have a lot of self-discipline by nature. I don't! I trick myself into doing what I want to do.  Have you ever heard of the ego, the super ego, and the id?  (Freud's explanation of the three parts of our psyche. Look it up; it's interesting.)  Well I tend to be stuck in id mode...instant gratification, impatient, something-shiny-syndrome at its finest. Why wait when the future begins RIGHT NOW? Let's go, let's go, let's go!  I'm the kind of gal you want on your team when you need results ASAP. As for the how or the details? Leave that to someone else...I'm your action girl.  Bring it on.  I get these ideas and WHOO HOO, I'm off and running. I don't know how I'm going to accomplish all of this in one 24-hour span of time, but who cares, HA-HA!  I've had my coffee, and I'm on a mission. And then comes the enacting of said plan.  Ooooh.  So there has to be some...planning involved? Ew. Boring! Yawn! Blech.  Total soul killer...the word "plan."

So, back to the discipline...I have to literally bribe myself sometimes and even TRICK myself.  Tonight, I was at the gym. I'd already done 3 miles on the bike in 10 minutes for my warm up, and I was determined to run for 30 minutes straight.  So I'm plugging right along, and that little voice in my head crept in... "You already did 3 miles on the bike, and you've run for 12 minutes. Back off, girl! You did good! Now just slow down and coast."  Instantly, I felt like I couldn't breathe, my side was hurting, I felt that "need" to stop and (as I saw it) fail.  About that time, one of the young ladies I coached on my ball team a few years ago rounded the corner at the gym.  So, I asked her to go get me a towel.  I covered the monitor of my treadmill so I couldn't see how far or long I had been running.  Once I removed that from my immediate sight, I was able to put my focus back on my breathing and finished the 30 minutes. 

Here's another trick I use when I'm working out and feel like 'I can't go another minute.'  I find a really fun song on my MP3 player and turn my attention to that.  Before I know it, I've ran another 5 minutes without stopping. So, then, I find another song... There are nights when I would rather be watching ants cross the street than working out, and I might spend my entire workout dragging my butt through kicking and screaming.  Other nights, I can't keep up with myself!  It's the nights that are difficult that you need to make sure you have your tools to keep you moving. And that takes discipline.

Lastly, I have been known to Facebook or text friends while working out on a machine.  Just hearing other people say "Good job, I'm proud of you! Keep it up! Way to go!" kick-starts me and helps me dig deeper when I'm not in the mood. 

So, I have the same demons to face as you.  I have cravings, I have down days, I have pity parties... and I also know what it takes for me to win at this game.  I've already won; I'm in overtime, now, baby, going for the kill!  And you!!  You are bigger, better, and stronger than you ever imagined already.  Dig deep in yourself and find that sass.  You'll be amazed at what one sincere grin and positive statement in the mirror will do for you.  Go ahead...try it.  Walk up to the mirror, give yourself a good sassy grin, and say, "Man, I'm hot!"  And feel free to giggle.  I do- every time!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment