A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One Day at a Time

Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
 
The quote above was my signature line on my email account for a long time.  I absolutely love it because it reminds me to not stand in my own way.  It reminds me not to be lazy or complacent with my goals. I don't want to be "good enough."  I don't want to be average or normal.  I don't want to skate by or settle because it was easier.  I don't want my days to be tolerated or my life to be lived without effort's evidence popping out on my forehead.  I want to show up at Heaven's gates with sweat dripping, muscles burning, gasping for air, and give St. Peter a knuckle bump as he screams, "Tami, that WAS AWESOME!!!" 

I want to work toward my goals with such an intensity that it is almost intoxicating to be around me. I want to help motivate people the way others have motivated me. I don't feel I was put on this journey by accident; I believe I was placed on this path with the idea that #1- I would not only succeed but excel, and #2- to share my experiences with others and offer strength and hope when needed.  I cannot tell you how awesome it feels to think God thinks I'm that cool.  :) 

For me, it's all about the mind-set.  It's all about making a commitment to myself for better days ahead.  If I say to you, "Well, I'll try to babysit your kids Friday night."  That's not a commitment.  That's not yes or no, therefore that is not plan-worthy.  That's tentative.   As I said on Facebook tonight, (yeah, I'm 'one of those people' lol) "I've found most of my battles are fought on my own land. To say "I'm going to try" leaves me open to fail. "I am losing weight; I am quitting a nasty habit (smoking)." As ye speak so shall it be. I'm standing firm on my commitments ...'Do or do not; there is no try.' "


I encourage you to write ten things you wish/hope for right now.  Big or little- "silly" or serious.
"I wish for financial security."
"I hope to lose ten pounds."
Then look at your list again and reword it.
"I wish for financial security." Change that to "I am working toward financial security."
"I hope to lose ten pounds." Change that to "I am working on losing ten pounds."

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN, 
and the wisdom to know the difference.

How do you get to be 84 years old?  One day at a time, my friends.  Because let's face it; no matter what you do in the next 24 hours, those 24 hours are still going to pass.  It's up to you to determine how you're going to experience them.  Be bold; be courageous today.  Let's rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment