A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Flood Gates Have Opened!

Apparently I have really missed blogging, because I have countless posts running through my mind all at once! 

I want to share with you the meaning behind the name of my blog and tell you the story about the profile picture I chose.  The title of my blog, "Athlete in Training" was intended to be a changed perspective for myself.  I had never seen myself as an athlete, which I figured might have played into my problem.  So, I had a change in perspective and started thinking and acting like an athlete in training. Hence the name. 

The picture I chose was taken on a very special day for me.  When I separated from my ex-husband, I wanted to keep my house in the worst way.  I loved the house, loved the location, and of course, it was my children's home.  With all the changes going on regarding the divorce, the least I could do was keep them in it.  However, affording it on my own was a big concern.  I had to get it refinanced in my own name, and I wasn't sure if I could carry that large of a loan on my income.  I worried and prayed, but I was determined if at all possible to keep my house, no matter what.  Failure was not an option, but I was at the mercy of the mortgage company.


My profile picture was taken the day I signed the paperwork and became the sole owner of my house.  I felt safe, secure, and I knew we were going to be O.K.  When I signed the last document, I cried with relief and pride. It was a momentous occasion.  I had my best friend and my boyfriend standing there watching, all smiles, silently cheering me on.  Sometimes when I'm discouraged and feel unsure, I will flip through the album and remind myself of that day, and I'm so glad I have pictures of my accomplishment.

Another visual reminder I have is a painting I bought last year.  I could write FOUR blog posts just explaining what it means to me, because it symbolizes that much.  Kindness, understanding, encouragement, beauty, healing, hope...and above all, another personal achievement. I always wanted to own an original painting but never let myself spend the money on it.  I am worth it. So I did it. :)  This painting also reminds me of a time when I was really happy even in the midst of fear in life's major changes. (divorce, single-parenting, weight loss...the list goes on and on)  I've spent hours looking at that painting, and it serves as a center of gravity for me.  Again, another visual reminder of things that I can accomplish when I remind myself that I'm worthy of nice things.  Just because you're cool, I'll share a picture of my treasure, here.
Artist: Nick Houston


So here's your challenge.  Find a picture, find an object, find something that brings you joy. Display it.  Study it. Smell it, hell- kiss it if you have to. But find something that reminds you of a time when you were truly happy in your life.  Let it serve as a pillar of hope for brighter days and encourage you to stay the course when you need a little boost.  I hope you will find it gives you the same, "Sigh...I'm OK" that mine give me.

1 comment:

  1. That is so heart touching and beautiful. . . Your positivity uplifts me my friend :)

    ReplyDelete