A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Friday, January 14, 2011

My House and My Key

"I am bigger than anything that can happen to me. All these things, sorrow, misfortune, and suffering, are outside my door. I am in the house and I have the key." ~Charles Fletcher Lummis
Today is day two of no sweet foods.  I've noticed I've had a headache off and on the last day or so, and while I'm not certain it's related to my "detox", I can imagine they're intertwined.  It was another tough day, but it was easier today than it was yesterday. The cravings weren't as intense and didn't last as long.  My family even had dessert this evening after dinner, and I did not partake. Granted, I was standing on the other end of the kitchen BEGGING them to stay away from me with those delectable little goodies, but hey, a little begging never hurt, and maybe I burned a few extra calories in my madness. 

The quote above was delivered to me via Facebook at just the right time.  I've felt, lately, that I'm standing at the threshold of a door to the unknown. But, I had it all wrong.  I'm not walking into a house; I'm standing firmly in my own!  To be standing on someone else's doorstep felt uncomfortable and uncertain.  But, once I stopped and actually looked around, everything is familiar. Everything is mine.  My joy, my peace, my determination, my willingness to change what I can about myself to improve my daily life.  None of this is outside; it's in my "house". It's in me!  And I, alone, hold the key. (While God steadies my hand.)

Cheating, not giving it my all, making excuses...that doesn't let down the scale.  That doesn't let down my favorite exercise bike at the gym. That lets me down.  And, before my journey began, I never felt like I mattered in the equation. "So what? It's just me."  But, if you can't trust yourself, who can you trust? Moreover, who would you be willing to trust?


I feel a new sense of empowerment.  I'm already doing little things every day to get back on track as I stare down the next fifteen pounds to my new goal weight. On this journey, I have learned so much about myself and while it can, at times, be unsettling and scary, I've also learned a very valuable lesson.  I'm human.  I'm imperfect. (I know...that was a shock to me, too.)  When I embraced my imperfection, though, I quit beating myself up for stumbles and scratched knees.  But, the most important thing I have learned thus far is to keep going.  Even when it seems like I'm making no progress or I'm not reaching my goals as quickly as I want, I keep going.  

So, I challenge you.  Look around your "house".  Who has your keys?  Have you simply misplaced them?  Try to remember what motivated you in the first place to make improvements in your current lifestyle.  Write them down.  Now, think about what you want, but use the present tense.  For example, instead of saying, "I want to lose weight", or, "I'm going to lose weight",  write, "I am losing weight."  "I am feeling better."  "I am taking small steps today to improve my daily life."  Wanting to and going to aren't doing.  Give yourself that positive affirmation that yes, you are committed to this, but I also encourage you to remember that this process is action taken one day at a time.  Making the decision to lose weight or change old habits is not a one-time deal.  It is a daily commitment to yourself.  And boy, are you worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment