A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The X Factor

I think for the first time in my life, I am unsure of what to say.  I am experiencing some sort of writer's block, here, and quite frankly, it is very frustrating.  I have had a few blog ideas come to me the last few days, and when I sit down to write, they're gone. 

In my last blog update, I announced I was on day four (I think) of no sweets.  I've lost track of the days, now, but I have not caved and partaken in the delicious goodness that seems to be lurking in every corner.  And, oh, how I want it! I caught myself earlier in the evening trying to talk myself into having a cookie.  I even went so far as to bribe myself; "It's a reward! You've done a good job. Go ahead."  But, since I have come so far already, I just couldn't do it. And, I must admit, my faithful readers, you had a hand in that.  I didn't want to let ya down. :)

I'm going to go off the beaten path tonight and write about something not weight-loss related.  One of the questions I ask myself is, "If nothing in your life ever changed from this day, would you still be happy?"   On any given day, this can be a comfort or the kick in the pants I need to reevaluate my priorities.  Many things in life are purely circumstantial and won't last forever...fights, migraines, winter 'blues', painful break-ups, you know, the normal stuff that happens in life.  But how many times have you said, "If X would happen, then I'd be happy."

What is your X factor?  Is it within your control?  If the statement is, "If I could lose twenty pounds, then I'd be happy," then yes, that is in your control.  "If I could get a job doing ____, then I'd be happy."  That is, yet, another thing, that can have action taken to attain.  When I am looking at my X factors, I break them down into smaller bites to give myself a sense of accomplishment.  Right now, one of my X factors is, "If I could just get back to my old routine, I'd be happy."  That routine consisted of drinking 80 ounces of water a day, working out four days a week for an hour at a time, knowing an exact calorie count for intake and burn every day, and no sweets.  I'm tackling the sweets already; I've increased my water intake, I'm monitoring my calories, but I'm getting hung up with the work-outs.  There are many reasons (read excuses) for that.  But all-in-all, it is my failure to prioritize that which is important only to me. 

I stepped on the scale this week, and the number on the scale broke my heart.  I have gained 4.5 pounds in the last two weeks.  There may be extenuating circumstances to that beyond my control, (For all you women out there reading this, you'll probably know what I referring to.) but Tuesday's weigh-in will tell all.   There will be no excuse, nothing to blame it on.

So, it's time to get serious.  Casey and I were talking last night about scheduling workout times and actually putting it on the planner like we did last year until it becomes a given and part of our routine again.  Hopefully we can make that happen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment