A mildly boring disclaimer from me

This blog is intended to share my personal weight loss/self-improvement journey with other people who may have had the same struggles or just need a little nudge in the right direction. I am not a professional or an expert on the matter. I AM an expert on myself, though, and I know what has and does work for me. Interested? Stay tuned... this is gonna be GREAT!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Bridge

I've made some bad decisions in my life, more than I care to recall or recant.  But, a few years ago, I found myself standing at a canyon, looking at the beautiful wonderland on the other side wide-eyed and hopeful.  The only way to that side, though, was an unsteady rope bridge.  I prayed, "God, can't you make this easier?"  He asked me, "How bad do you want it, Tami?"  Trust me when I say, I looked all OVER that side of the canyon for safe passage down so as to avoid that test.  And, I found myself back at the bridge.  So I took a step.  My heart was pounding, my hands were sweaty, and everything in me said, "Get off this bridge! Go back to where it's safe!"  And then, I looked up, and God was smiling at me. I looked down, and my feet were planted securely on a plank of gold.  When it came time for me to take another step, same thing...heart was pounding, mind was racing...and while I was scared to do it again, I knew God was with me the last time, and I knew He'd be there again. 

Today after church, I wanted to work out in the worst way.  I needed to get my heart rate up, needed to sweat, needed to get off the mat and today was the day.  All I could think of was, "Is it safe, now, to get back my membership?  What if....What if...what if...."  Then, I remembered my bridge.   And all at once, it came to me.  I don't HAVE to buy a monthly membership...I had enough cash in my wallet to pay for a one-day entrance!  It was like a light came on in my head. I had been doing such black-and-white thinking, I hadn't even considered that as an option.  Change-in-perspective MUCH? 

That was all it took.  I was dressed and out the door quick as a flash.  When I hopped on that bike, I felt like I'd sat down for coffee with an old friend.  I remembered why I had started my journey;  I remembered how much enjoyment I had when I worked out; I remembered the sense of pride I had in myself.  When I stood in front of the mirror by the free weights, I saw myself with new eyes.  And, I smiled. 

So, I left the gym with a renewed membership.  I took another step on my bridge, and guess what...today? It felt REALLY good.  Today, I was not fearful, and God and I had one helluva good workout. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment